Friday, August 22, 2014

AstroStack: Closing on 0.5 release and roadmap to future releases

No, there's no new name. I didn't come up with anything. The name is now AstroStack and executable is astrostack with no CamelCase. I'll also change distribution package names and Gentoo and Ubuntu releases to lowercase.

Since there's a graphical user interface now I thought it would be nice to have an icon as well. I'm not sure if my graphic skills even match my coding skills, but here it is:
I'm also including a .desktop file so AstroStack will be found in the menu of desktop environments that support these files. My understanding is that they all should.

A release candidate (RC3) is already uploaded in BitBucket and Launchpad. The program itself is working fine on RC3 (at least it seems so...), but lacks documentation, .desktop file has some problems and the icons are in wrong format. I hope I have enough time to finalize this on the weekend. Now that I go to work again after one year of child care leave, my time on this project is more limited.

Roadmap to future releases:

Some planned features:

0.6

  • A manual
  • Frame information table on Gui. There's already a place holder for it but no functionality. Click a frame from the list and this should show all the extracted info.
  • Have command line interface use the same methods on class Frame the Gui uses
  • Setting for choosing memory limits for stacking. I have no idea how to limit by megabytes, but I can choose how many pieces the stack is split into. This could somehow depend on the setting.

0.7 or later

  • Show frame when clicked. Maybe as a pop up window.
  • Choose the reference frame which the rest are aligned to.
  • Choose cropping from the reference frame. This will save a lot of time and memory during the stacking process.

No comments:

Post a Comment